Non-Techie Revenue Accounting Manager
AppDirect is the cloud service commerce leader making software and products accessible globally. The AppDirect cloud service commerce platform unites providers, developers and consumers of cloud services into a single ecosystem. This makes it easy for businesses to find, buy and manage cloud services from a central location and delivers new opportunities for providers to distribute, sell, and market cloud services.
AppDirect-powered marketplaces, billing and distribution, and reselling services help providers – including Samsung, Telstra, Deutsche Telekom, ADP and others – connect millions of business users to solutions from Microsoft, Google, Box, DocuSign and more.
About the Team
The Accounting Team at AppDirect provides the financial backbone of the company in the form of payroll, billings, collections, accounts payable, revenue, equity, and financial reporting. We are a small team with great responsibility as providers of financial metrics and gatekeepers of compliant financial reporting. We are active participants in the Company’s robust revenue cycle and proactively champion financial integrity, process efficiency and internal controls in the spirit of the core values of AppDirect.
As the Revenue Accounting Manager, you will be responsible for leading the charge on all complex transactions with a focus on revenue. You will be responsible for the worldwide revenue revenue recognition policy, processes and reporting. You will perform monthly and quarterly close activities for revenue and reconcile all revenue related accounts. You will prepare management reports, analyses for executive review, and deliverable for external auditors. You will establish and foster relationships with all key stakeholders in the quote to cash cycle from legal to sales. The ideal candidate will have experience with liaising with cross-functional leaders to identify the best course of action to treat complex accounting arrangements. You are a problem solver who thrives off of a fast paced environment where new customers, business verticals and operational processes are being introduced every day.
- In depth knowledge of ASC 605-25, ASC 985-605, ASU 2009-13 and ASU 2009-14.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining fair value (BESP / VSOE)
- Partner with Sales and Legal to ensure optimal revenue recognition terms
- Review all new customer contracts prior to execution to identify potential areas of risk and exposure
- Preparation of all revenue related journal entries and reconciliations
- Serve as point person to external auditors for revenue related inquiries including new key arrangements, changes in revenue accounting methodology, etc.
- Maintain worldwide revenue accounting policy across all subsidiaries
- Perform contract review and accounting memo for complex multiple element revenue deals.
- Continual education of sales, account management, and technical project management teams of revenue operations and processes
- Perform research on complex accounting issues and provide accounting consultation advice to business partners
- Draft and maintain global accounting policies and memos
- Work on complex accounting issues as they arise, prepare technical accounting memos and document accounting conclusions
- Active CPA required including 7 years experience with at least 4 years at a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- Knowledge of US GAAP revenue standards and related pronouncements and experience in their application for revenue recognition
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word) with advanced Excel skills
- Strong leadership skills and high degree of business and technical proficiency and judgment
- Software and multiple element arrangement revenue recognition experience required
- Excellent problem-solving and strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Able to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills across multiple levels, functions, and locations
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; active CPA