Techie Product Manager
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Scribd is a YCombinator startup based in San Francisco looking for a product manager to lead the ideation, discovery, development, and launch of product initiatives to constantly make the product better. We want to make the experience for our customers the most enjoyable and enticing possible, while strengthening our business model. If you’re excited by this challenge, we want you.
Scribd’s vision is to build the future of publishing and mobile reading by making it easy to share and discover entertaining, informative and engaging written content across the web and mobile devices. Notably, we’re already one of the top 100 sites on the web with over 90 million monthly visitors. From a technology perspective we have scaled the world’s third largest ruby on rails site, invented the first HTML5 document reader, and done original work on textual analysis.
We’ve won lots of awards, raised $20M along the way and we’re at the threshold of some breakthrough launches, but the journey is only 1% finished, and we’re looking for best of breed Product folks to take Scribd to the next level.
At Scribd the product development process is fluid and creative solutions are the norm. As a Scribd Product Manager, you’ll work closely with the design and engineering teams on a daily basis iterating on and refining on the product to provide our users with the ultimate experience possible with these ground-breaking products. And, because we have a large user-base and deploy new production almost daily your work will be seen and used by millions of people immediately. You will receive instant feedback and ample data to analyze your work and keep iterating.
Scribd has a unique company culture that combines a laid-back atmosphere (we have company go-karts, an office zipline, and a rock climbing wall) with a phenomenal team work environment. That said, the coolest stuff that we’re doing we haven’t yet announced, so you’ll need to talk to us to find out what we’re up to.
Who you are:
You have a deeply ingrained passion for bringing forth compelling products and creating value for your customers. You combine this with an instinct for superior user experience, technical aptitude to work with creative fast-moving design and engineering teams, and the business sense to drive product goals and strategies.
You are an experienced product manager who will own the evolution of a Scribd product or products. To be successful in this role, you will have visionary product insight, considerable technical expertise, and broad leadership and business skills.
Above all, you are a really smart individual who knows how to get things done.
What you’ll do:
You will envision and bring to life new product initiatives for Scribd’s products:
- Process and analyze data to identify and assess opportunities for the product; isolate opportunities for us to optimize critical growth flows and user paths
- Drive user testing activities by identifying reference customers; coordinating and conducting sessions; analyzing, synthesizing, and communicating findings to the team
- Drive projects that that will directly increase conversion rates and overall Scribd growth/engagement; manage your team’s backlog
- Initiate and prioritize initiatives for existing and new products
- Engage closely with the engineering and UX team to conceptualize, test, and implement enhancements for the Scribd products;
- Define, track, and analyze metrics that inform the success of products
- Conduct research and market analysis to understand Scribd’s strategic and competitive position and deliver products that are superior
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field (in lieu of degree, 4 years relevant work experience)
- Strong product management experience with a track record of creating innovative and effective solutions across web and mobile platforms
- Deep, holistic understanding of the web/mobile user experience; hands on experience conducting user/usability testing or focus groups, and surveys
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence cross-organizational teams
- Great organization skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional quantitative and analytical skills
- Understanding of the technical architecture of complex and highly scalable web applications and/or media products
You’ll make us even happier if you bring:
- Experience designing simple and intuitive user interfaces – ability to create examples through wireframes and mockups
- Ability to create working prototypes of web and/or mobile user interactions
- Ability to conduct statistical analysis of data
- Experience developing social products, technologies and platforms
How to Apply
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume with the subject "Your name - Product Manager - via Scribd.com" to email@example.com.
Resumes for engineering roles are reviewed directly by a senior member of our engineering team within 24 hours. If you're not sure which engineering role to apply for, just make your best guess. We'd love to hear from you!