Non-Techie Marketing – General (Branding, Events, Inbound, etc)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
isocket builds web apps and the underlying pipes & platforms to make online ad sales easier. 80% of the money in online advertising is still bought and sold by hand, over cocktails, and through email and fax machines. Almost all of the technology and ad companies you’ve heard of deal with remnant “Class 2” ads – the equivalent of teeth whitening ads you see on the last page of a magazine.
Our underlying platform was the world’s first to power the programmatic buying and selling of “Class 1” ad inventory by connecting APIs from advertisers software (DSPs, etc) through to publishers software (ad servers like DFP, etc.) isocket also powers self-serve advertising for some of the web’s best sites in our open marketplace, www.buyads.com.
Our mission is a valid one. Your job is to share it with the world and build a meanginful brand and community.
Now that isocket has early success, secured meaningful funding, and is growing / going to market, it’s time for our small team to add a marketing leader.
You’ll work directly with the Founder/CEO and CRO to make sure that isocket’s brand awareness and positioning is exactly what we want it to be. That’s the expected result – this role’s success is defined by the outcome, not by the tactics used to get there. How customers and the rest of the market perceives our company can make all the difference.
You’ll manage all the general marketing strategies like events, sponsorships, speaking engagements, press, paid traffic acquisition, SEO, etc.
You believe that creating timely, worthwhile content (e.g. blog posts, white papers, op-eds, events/panels/keynotes, webinars, videos, etc) and helping move a marketplace forward is an excellent way to build a brand.
You understand how to build (and can execute) successful customer acquisition funnels. For example, we do not put sales people behind BuyAds.com – the growth of that product should come through ‘marketing’ efforts, not smiling and dialing.
You ideally have experience with both B2C and B2B oriented services. The sweet spot is a mix of both (e.g. LinkedIn acquires consumer users and paying businesses.)
But the real challenges come from the re-education of an entire market. Because isocket is bringing technology to an industry that is so steeped in analog methods and human psyches, there are significant challenges. Some examples:
- Publishers have an irrational fear of channel conflict. Irrational because they ignore the things they *should* be worried about, and overfocus on the harmless things.
- The market has rendered the word “premium” meaningless because of everyone misusing it to sound better than they are.
- Private marketplaces – they were a valiant attempt at bringing technology to “premium” but they’ve fallen short. You have to paint the picture why and how the market moves forward (hint: isocket)
The perfect leader for this role can easily and naturally understand everything from paid customer acquisition loops to the masterful tactics used to weave the right story about our company.
What we offer you
Working at a growing technology startup is a unique choice, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. It can be very challenging, but comes with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn it. What we bring to the table is just as important as what you bring:
- We know everyone says it, but at isocket you will absolutely make a difference. Our company is a handful of people, and we’ll remain a small but powerful team.
- The room and tools you need to create and succeed.
- The chance to work on truly game-changing products.
- You’re getting in on the ground floor of an already growing project.
- Be a part of the team many consider to already be the best early stage team in the industry.
- You will learn something and grow every day – from deep experience in a growing, VC-backed startup to friends and connections that will last. Learn from some of the best people in the business.
- Competitive or better stock options and benefits, including full health coverage, dental and vision.
This is a full time role in either our Burlingame (near San Francisco) or NYC based offices. Burlingame, CA is our Headquarters and where all product development lies. Located just 30 yards from the Burlingame Caltrain station and downtown Burlingame, it’s a perfect location for anyone in the bay area. Free parking on our roof. 30 foot ceilings, great windows and light, etc make for a cool place to work.
New York City is our east coast HQ and primarily focused on sales, marketing, and account management.
isocket is one of the hottest and best funded early stage startups in online ad tech. We’re backed by Foundry Group, the firm behind Admeld (programmatic buying for Class 2) sold to Google in 2011, Triggit, Medialets, etc. Other investors include SoftTech, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Quest VP, David Cohen of TechStars, Blumberg Capital, and more!
Our small team of 15 is made up of industry veterans and VIPs from groups like Admeld, Rubicon Project, Google, Yahoo, and more.
How to Apply